To protect yourself and your belongings from housebreaks, Nelsonville Police encourage you to follow the tips below:
- Try “casing” your own home, at night and during the day. Attempt to gain access to your home when the doors and windows are locked and “secure.” Make sure you have some identification on you in case your neighbors call the police.
- ALWAYS lock your doors and windows. Doors should be made from strong wood or metal and should be locked with a deadbolt. Install guards on windows that prevent them from being raised more than a few inches.
- Leave a light on (perhaps on a timer) when you go away, even for the evening. Leave a television or radio on as well.
- Install motion sensor lights outside your home and out of reach so burglars cannot unscrew the light. Also, buy variable light timers to activate lights in your home.
- NEVER prop open the door or let someone in behind you if you live in an apartment building. If the building has a main entryway, make sure that security is enforced at the main door. Report residents who do this to your landlord.
- Be vigilant. If you suspect suspicious activity around your home, your neighbors’ homes, or in your neighborhood, please report it to the police immediately by calling 9-1-1.
- Document serial numbers of all electronics and take pictures of all valuables. Keep this in a safe place to provide to the police in the event you are burglarized.
- Request a Residential Security Survey from the Nelsonville Police Department, which provides a general assessment of the vulnerability of your residence. For more info, please call (740) 753-1736.